Osher Center for Integrative Health Grand Rounds
The UCSF Osher Center for Integrative Health's Grand Rounds series provides a forum for the presentation and discussion of Integrative Medicine and Health practice. The series aims to close the gaps between ideal practice and current practice by providing ways providers can offer whole-person, integrated care. These monthly presentations follow the academic calendar (September to June) and are held on the third Wednesday of each month from 8 to 9 am, with the exception of UCSF holidays. We welcome all UCSF faculty and staff, and the broader health professional community. CME/CEU credit is available.
Please visit the Osher Center's continuing education page to learn about other educational activities for health professionals.
The University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine (UCSF) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing education for physicians and allied health professionals.
UCSF designates this live activity for a maximum of 12 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. This credit maximum reflects all Osher Integrative Medicine Grand Rounds to be offered in Fiscal Year 2021. UCSF designates each live activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Learners should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
A variety of healthcare boards and licensing bodies may accept AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ toward their requirements for professional standing. This may include nurses, physician assistants, pharmacists, psychologists, and social workers. Check with your professional organization to ensure that AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ meets the continuing education requirements of your profession.
Acupuncturists: This live activity is approved by the State of California Acupuncture Board for 1 hour of Category 1 CE course credit (provider number 1377).
Past Integrative Health Grand Rounds
- Investigating Ayurveda in the Genomics Era: A Brief Research Review (slides), Sudha Pranthikanti, MD
- Integrative Approaches to Long COVID, Meghan Jobson, MD & Juliet Morgan, MD
- Music and Art-Based Interventions for Health and Well-being, by Emmeline Edwards, PhD
- Warming up to a Novel Integrative treatment for Depression: Whole Body Hyperthermia and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Ashley E. Mason, PhD
- Whodunnit? Solving Cases of Synergy in Botanical Medicines, Nadja B. Cech, PhD
- Oncology Acupuncture: Evidence-informed Integration, Jun Mao, MD, MSCE
- Decolonizing Medicine through Two-Eyed Seeing: Indigenous Philosophies of Wellbeing, Lewis Mehl-Madrona, MD
- Pandemic Era Personal and Institutional Well-being: How to Bolster Our UCSF Response by Elissa Epel, PhD
- Targeting the Sleep-Stress Cycle: Opportunities to Improve Health and Well-being in the Post-COVID Era by Aric. A Prather, PhD
- Neuroimaging Brain Mechanisms of Acupuncture: from Somatosensation to Therapeutic Alliance by Vitaly Napadow, PhD
- Food as Medicine: Moving Clinics Upstream to Improve Human Health, Soil Health, and Equity by Steven Chen, MD
- What Can I Do to Protect Myself, My Family, and My Patients during COVID-19? The Role of Complementary and Integrative Health by Karen Seal, MD, MPH
- Using Contemplative Practices to Divest Clinical and Research Processes of Racism by Kamilah Majied, PhD
- Clinical Perspectives of an Integrative Health Case: The Retired Urologist with Chronic Pain panel presentation including the patient; Louise Aronson, MD; Christopher Gilbert, PhD; and Wolf Mehling, MD
- Mind-Body Programs at the UCSF Osher Center: Translating Research to Clinical Practice panel presentation by Judith Cuneo, MD; Rick Hecht, MD; and Wolf Mehling, MD
- Integrative Medicine in Children: Effective Tools to Treat and Prevent Pain and Distressing Symptoms in Pediatrics by Stefan J. Friedrichsdorf, MD, FAAP
- Integrative Health Equity: Paradox and Promise by Maria T. Chao, DrPH, MPA
- Culturally-Informed Complementary Treatments for Pain Management by Valerie W. Jackson, PhD, MPH
- From Personal to Professional: Making the Journey Toward Integrative Whole Health Within the VA Health Care System by Karen Seal, MD, MPH
- Mindfulness-Based Cancer Recovery: Program Description and Research Overview by Linda Carlson, PhD, CPsych
- Integrative Aging: Optimizing Wellness across the Decades of Elderhood by Louise Aronson, MD
- Maurice Kanbar Lecture on Innovations in Integrative Medicine: Placebo Effects in Medicine by Professor Ted Kaptchuk
- We Have to Pick a SIDE (Stakeholder, Infrastructure, Diversity, and Equity) in Academic Medicine by Tung Nguyen, MD
- IM4US: The Intersection of Social Justice and Integrative Health Care by Priscilla Abercrombie, RN, NP, PhD; Rhonda Smith; Ariana Thompson-Lastad, PhD; and Maria Chao, DrPH, MPA
- Prescribing Nature for Health: Taking Medicine into the Woods by Nooshin Razani, MD, and Jenifer Matthews, MD
- Mindful Surgeon: Demonstrating the Possibility and Value of Contemplative Cognitive Training in Surgery by Carter Lebares, MD
- MDMA - Assisted Psychotherapy for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Early reports and announcement of a new multicenter trial by Sylver Quevedo, MD
- A Review of the 2018 ICIMH Meeting by Osher Center members who attended the 2018 International Congress on Integrative Medicine and Health in Baltimore.
- Collaboration, Possibilities, and Future Approaches to Polycystic Kidney Disease by Jennifer Ashby, DAOM, LAc, and Meyeon Park, MD
- Toward Just Healthcare for All: Revolutionary Reflections on Mindfulness, Social Justice, and Integrative Medicine by Rhonda V. Magee, MA, JD
- Kanbar Lecture on Innovations in Integrative Medicine: The Entanglement of Meditation and Medicine, and What Love’s Got to Do With It by Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD. The video of this presentation is now online at UCTV.
- Mindfulness-based approaches to promoting women’s mental health during pregnancy and parenting: Novel targets and delivery formats by Jennifer Felder, PhD
- Mind-Body Medicine for Children and Adolescents: An Integrative medicine approach to successfully incorporating these tools into clinical care by David Becker, MD
- Modern and Traditional Dietary Approaches for Diabetes Mellitus by Rick Hecht, MD; Carla Kuon, MD; Anand Dhruva, MD,;and Evelyn Ho, PhD
- Movement, Breath and Psyche: Yoga and Other Mind-Body Therapies for Treating Major Depression by Sudha Prathikanti, MD
- Managing Stress, Building Resilience: The Imperative for Mind-Body Medicine in Health Professions Education by Aviad Haramati, PhD
- Do 4.2 Million Children Need Ritalin? The Integrative Treatment of ADHD by Sandy Newmark, MD
- New Developments in the Treatment of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder by Thomas Neylan, MD
- Complementary Therapies in Treatment and Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease by Myriam Hunink, MD, PhD
- "Minding" Our Bodies: Research on the Impact of Tai Chi on Cognitive-Neuromuscular Interactions in Older Adults by Peter M. Wayne, PhD
- Endometriosis-Associated Chronic Pelvic Pain: An Integrative Approach by Judith Cuneo, MD
- Acupuncture and the Placebo Effect by Lisa Conboy, MA, MS, ScD
- Comparative Effectiveness Research on Acupuncture by Claudia Witt, MD, MBA
- Marijuana: Is It Medicine Yet? by Donald Abrams, MD
- Time to Reconsider the Concept and Treatment of Teenage Depression? by Eva Henje-Blom, PhD
- Approach to Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Case Presentation & Panel Discussion by Rick Hecht, MD; Najwa El-Nachef, MD; and Kevin Barrows, MD
- Integrative Approaches to Chronic Pain by Diana Coffa, MD
- Neural Mechanisms Supporting the Modulation of Pain and Health by Mindfulness Meditation by Fadel Zeidan, PhD
- Communitas: Transforming the Experience of Pediatric Chronic Illness by Brittany Blockman, MD
- Are We All Addicted? Why We Get Hooked on Habits and How Mindfulness Can Help Change our Behaviors (and Brains) by Judson Brewer, MD, PhD
- Stretching, Connective Tissue, Chronic Pain, and Cancer by Helene Langevin, MD
- Integrative Urologic Oncology by Jonathan Brajtbord, MD