Wolf Mehling, MD
Clinical Specialties at the Osher Center
- Manual medicine
Dr. Wolf Mehling is trained as a family physician in both Germany and the United States, and additionally in manual medicine and psychotherapy, both board-certified sub-specialties in Germany. He worked in private practice in Germany for 12 years, where he also taught manual medicine to other physicians, studied a variety of mind-body therapies, and completed a medical dissertation.
After completing a second family medicine clinical residency in Santa Rosa and a research fellowship at UCSF, Dr. Mehling became involved in clinical studies on breath therapy, massage therapy, acupuncture, yoga, and other integrative movement exercises, as well as a large back pain study with Kaiser.
- Chronic low back pain
- Mind-body approaches
- Integrative exercise, which combines strength and aerobic training with yoga and other mindful bodily awareness approaches
- Cross-cultural differences in bodily awareness
Education and Training
- Clinical Research Fellowship, UCSF
- Family Medicine Residency, Community Hospital of Santa Rosa Medical Dissertation, Free University Berlin
- MD, University of Hamburg
Personal Statement and Approach
Manual medicine touches you where your physical body, emotions, and mind interact. Hands-on techniques for musculoskeletal problems use both biomechanics and present-moment body awareness.