Jane Baraz, MA
Public Classes Taught
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction
Jane Baraz has been meditating since 1976. In addition to teaching at the Osher Center, she teaches courses and weeklong retreats at Spirit Rock Meditation Center and in Europe and Australia. She also teaches for a National Institutes of Health research study that is investigating whether mindfulness can slow down cognitive decline in patients with HIV. Ms. Baraz is a founding board member of Spirit Rock Meditation Center.
Education and Training
- Mindful Self-Compassion Teacher Training, UC San Diego Center for Mindfulness
- Mindfulness-Based Stress ReductionTeacher-Development Intensive, University of Massachusetts
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Teacher Training, Practicum in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction, Center for Mindfulness in Medicine
- Certified Professional Co-Active Coach, Coaches Training Institute
- MA, Psychology, Lone Mountain College
- Standard Teaching Credential, State of California
- BA, Social Science, UC Berkeley
Personal Statement and Approach
Having practiced mindfulness for many years, I know first-hand how it supports living more kindly and wisely by quieting the mind, softening the heart, and helping us make better choices. I like to encourage bringing a friendly, gentle attitude to meditation practice and greater self-compassion to daily life.