Ashley Mason, PhD
- Research Faculty, UCSF Osher Center for Integrative Health
- Integrative Clinical Psychologist, UCSF Osher Center for Integrative Health
- Director, UCSF Sleep, Eating, Affect (SEA) Laboratory
- Co-Director, UCSF Center for Obesity Assessment, Study, and Treatment
- Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry
Clinical Specialties at the Osher Center
- Non-pharmacologic treatments for depression
- Non-pharmacologic treatment for insomnia
- Food-craving experiences, stress-induced, and reward-based eating
- Adherence to dietary recommendations, particularly carbohydrate-restricted diets, in type 2 diabetes
- Learn about Dr. Mason’s Sleep, Eating, and Affect Lab
Experience and Current Work
Dr. Ashley Mason’s primary research interests focus on sleep, eating, and affect. Her National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute-funded K23 research focuses on the role of the endogenous opioid system in overeating behavior. Her MZHF-funded research focuses on non-pharmacologic approaches to the treatment of insomnia and depression.
Her National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health-funded research uses ecological momentary assessment methodologies to assess food-craving experiences and uses ecological momentary intervention components to de-couple the experience of craving from the action of indulging cravings.
She is also interested in investigating the psychosocial factors that shape metabolic risk among individuals who are caregivers for a loved one. These individuals are at increased risk for physical and psychological health problems and are a growing sector of the U.S. population.
Her doctoral work focused on (1) predictors and correlates of psychological adjustment and physical health following divorce; and (2) interpersonal perceptions of psychological distress in the contexts of post-divorce recovery and social evaluative threat.
Education and Training
- National Center for Contemplative and Integrative Health Training in Research in Integrative Medicine (TRIM) Postdoctoral Fellowship, UCSF Osher Center for Integrative Medicine
- Clinical Internship, Behavioral Medicine Veterans Administration, Palo Alto Medical Health Care System
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist, License Number 26991
- PhD, Clinical Psychology, University of Arizona
- MA, Clinical Psychology, University of Arizona
- BA, Psychology and Sociology (double-major), Northwestern University